Monday, November 9, 2009

What's Cooking?

So, I love my crockpot and happened to stumble on to a great blog of Stephanie O'Dea's. She spent a whole year using her crockpot everyday and blogged about it. She has a ton of recipes there and I thought I would try one.






Chicken Salsa and Black Bean Soup

1 pound chicken (I used leftover cooked chicken)
* 1 cup dried black beans (or 2 cans drained and rinsed - I used canned)
4 cups chicken broth (I only had vegetable, so I used that)
1 cup sliced mushrooms (I used a small can)
1 cup frozen corn
1 16oz. jar of salsa (I used a can of my homemade black bean & corn salsa)
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 cup sour cream (to stir in at end)
Toppings - shredded cheese, avocado

*Soak the black beans in enough water to cover and another 2 inches overnight. In the morning, drain the water and rinse the beans.

You need a 4 qt or larger crockpot. Drain and rinse beans. Add to crockpot. Add in chicken, broth and salsa. Pour in corn and mushrooms and add cumin. Stir, but don't disturb the beans, they should stay on the bottom. Cover and cook on high for 9 hours (takes a long time for the beans to soften.)

I actually started this last night before I went to bed and just put it on low. Smells so yummy in here already. Would it be wrong to have black bean soup for breakfast?

I love soups, stews, and chili kind of meals, so I'm sure I will like this. And Charlie loves beans in general, so she should be an easy sell. Not so sure about Joe, but I know he will at least try it. I think I will sweeten the pot with a fresh loaf of beer bread to go with it.

blog comments powered by Disqus