Thursday, October 21, 2010

This week at the Neaton ranch.....

* Sometime Sunday night or Monday morning, the steers managed to get my chicken coop door open and let out all the hens. They also managed to eat an entire bag of organic chicken feed. The escaping hens wasn't a big deal, except I was hoping to get them use to this being home before they had complete free range of the place. Joe and I managed to catch all but 2 Monday night and they spent 2 days in the coop...with a new steer-proof latch. The 2 escaped hens have not been seen since.

* Tuesday, I had the opportunity to have lunch with a dear friend , Kelly, that I don't see often. It actually had been 2 years since we had last got together. We meet at the park, our kids played and we chatted. It was wonderful.

* Wednesday, Charlie went to the dentist for the first time. I am so proud of her, she sat so well for both the hygienist and the dentist and was excited to get a new toothbrush. The dentist thinks she needs a couple of fillings, but I'm thinking we may hold off for now and look into other alternatives. I forgot to bring my camera, so no pictures. I've been really bad about taking pictures lately. I think part of it is, I'm having too much fun with the girls to stop and take their pictures.

* Charlie has also been excited to practice her letters, so we have been spending more time at the kitchen table with her school stuff.

* Cori is getting another tooth and it seems to be screwing up her sleep a little and is definitely making her more clingy to mom.

* Our friendly neighbors dropped off 12 grocery bags full of clothes for us to go through. There was tons of stuff for both the girls and baby boy, as well as crib sheets and tons of socks...both of which I had just written down as needs this winter. This family is the same family who's teenagers have been babysitting for us for the last month. The girls love having them here (Charlie more than Cori) and it is helping me out a lot to be able to go to my office and work uninterrupted. What a blessing!!

*When I pulled in the garage Wednesday afternoon, I managed to run over one of the kitties. As soon as it happened, I know it wasn't going to be good. She was still alive, but seemed to be in some pain and died shortly after that. The wimp that I am called Joe, asked him what I should do and then told him he would have to deal with her when he got home. My dear husband did handle it when he got home and buried the poor little thing. It's nice to be married and have someone who will share in the dirty work. I change stinky diapers, he buries dead pets.

*Tomorrow, we will be doing our annual Poppy Seed Kuchen baking. Click here for last years baking adventure.

*I'm still trying to talk Joe into delivering this baby at home. I really want to, but he is just not going for it. Thinking dinner with the sweet neighbor and her husband who have birthed 10 at home might be a good push in the right direction. And we are still undecided on a name for the little guy...he may just be nameless for awhile.

Hope everyone has had a blessed week!