Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cori Suzanne

CORI SUZANNE
Our newest little girl was born on August 5th at 8pm. Cori Suzanne weighed 6 lbs 11 oz. and was 18 ½ in. long. The day started normal enough. I had a scheduled OB appointment (39 weeks) in the morning and had left Charlie with a sitter. As I was talking to my midwife Renee about being dilated, thinned out, swelling and all the other joys of being pregnant…induction was brought up.

At this point, I was so ready to not be pregnant and a little worried that I was going to end up going overdue. Joe had a very full plate scheduled for the following weekend and I was thinking it would happen then and I wouldn’t be able to get a hold of him. So, Renee tells me she is fine with inducing me if I wanted. I wanted to wait a few days…for the weekend…it would be more convenient for Joe, etc. Renee left to check the schedule and see about getting me in on Friday morning (the 5th was a Wednesday). She came back after a very long time and tells me there is no way I can get in for a scheduled induction at all on Thur. or Fri. but I could get in today at 1:30 pm. It was about 10:30 am at the time. I called Joe thinking there was no way he would agree to that. To my surprise, he says…sure I’ll meet you at home in 2 hours.


Labor went really well. I was induced about 2 pm and my contractions progress steadily over the next few hours. I was planning on a water birth and was as my contractions got closer together and more intense it sounded like a better and better idea. I was dilated enough to get in the tub around 5:30 pm but baby’s heartbeat kept dropping every time I would have a contraction, so we waited my contractions out a little while. I stayed hooked up to the monitors hoping it was just a sporadic thing, but noticed rather quickly that it was very consistent and happened with every contraction. Renee was worried that she had the cord wrapped.

So, since I could not get unhooked from the monitors, I could not get in the tub. We decided on an epidural then and got that about 7 pm. At that time, I was dilated to about 7 and sat back and chatted with my midwife, Renee and our awesome nurse, Kim (We were the only ones delivering at the time). It didn’t take long and I was feeling ready to push and asked Renee to check me again….fully dilated…YEAH almost time to meet our little girl!

8 pm our little girl was born…after pushing just 3 or 4 times. It was probably a total of 10 minutes. It turns out the cord was around her tummy and probably was being squeezed as she was moving down with each contraction…so I could have been in the tub had we known. Oh well, better safe than sorry. In just a few minutes I had my little girl snuggled up nursing like a champ. It was a nice peaceful labor and delivery. It was just Joe and I with one nurse and our midwife. There was no family standing outside the door waiting to come in the second after delivery and our phones weren’t ringing a bunch of times…both of which happened when we had Charlie.

blog comments powered by Disqus