Sunday, December 13, 2009

A whole bunch of randomness

When I cook a beef roast, I normally just put it in the crockpot with a can of Coke and let it cook all day. But, I found a new recipe that sounded interesting...it had one of my favorite things...coffee! So, I gave it a try. It was pretty yummy and easy. I love my crockpot and am always looking for new ideas.

Java Roast
3 lb chuck roast, trimmed of fat
3/4 cup brewed coffee
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 t garlic powder, or 4-5 chopped cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 black pepper
1 T Worcestershire sauce
3 T red wine vinegar
4 oz cream cheese (to add at the end)

Use a 4 quart or larger crockpot.
Put the vegetables on the bottom and then added the meat (still frozen, so I didn't trim it at all).
Add the coffee, Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar, and spices. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 4-5. I cooked it on low all day, probably 8-10 hours.

Carefully remove the meat from the pot, and stir in the cream cheese. It made a yummy gravy. I will probably use less cream cheese next time and add a little bit at a time. It didn't blend real well and left little small bits of cream cheese that didn't mix in, but still tasted good.



Remember the "Faith Cake" from Amanda's blog that I attempted for last weekend's Christmas party? Well, it sort of turned out like it was suppose to.....not nearly as pretty as Amanda's. It was good practice and the next one should turn out better...I hope.

The Christmas gathering with dad's family was great, everyone had fun. Charlie was having so much fun, she threw a horrible fit when it was time to go home.







Winter has finely arrived here. Joe spent the majority of 3 days last week moving snow (plowing, hauling, salt sanding, etc). He loves it. I don't know if it's the adrenline rush of it all.....no sleep and too much coffee.....or that it is money coming in all winter.....or something to get him out of the house during the long winter days. I don't know what it is, but I so appreciate that he is willing to leave the house at all hours of the day and night, when it is cold, windy and icky out just to provide for his family.

And.....it is suppose to start snowing again any time now, so Joe is over on the phone right now getting the boys all lined up to go.....it takes awhile when you have 8 pieces of equipment out running each snowfall!

God bless!

blog comments powered by Disqus