Saturday, January 23, 2010

Bible in 90 Days - An Update

Day 23 already and I am caught up still! Since my update last week, I've read the rest of Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel and most of 2 Samuel.

Joshua 24:15 - But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.

I love this verse. I try to remember this always and pay attention to whether or not our family is serving the Lord rather than someone or something else. It is too easy ot get distracted in other aspects of life and family and God gets moved down the list. I've been guilty of it numerous times. Lindsey over at Passionate Homemaking had a great blog post the other day about a way of live becoming an idol to you.....very well said, I couldn't have said it so well.

1 Samuel 2:2 - There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.

Amen!!.....is all I have to say.

1 Samuel 3:21 - The Lord continued to appear at Shiloh, and there he revealed himself to Samuel through his word.

How cool is that? God reveals himself in His Word. I have been an on-again, off-again Bible reader and studier over the last few years. Which is pretty sad since I have been involved in a Bible Study group with girlfriends during that whole time. This is the most consistant I have been.....probably ever! And the Lord is revealing himself to me. I am reading things I never read before and am seeing new things that I thought I already knew.

1 Samuel 16:7 - But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

It is reassuring that God doesn't look at our outward appearance. But unnerving that he does know us so well...from our head to our toes, inside and out, heart and soul. This was a gut check for me. What am I holding in my heart?...love and compassion or bitterness and anger? Lord, forgive me for those times I am not so forgiving to those around me...my husband, my children, my friends. Thank you for your unyielding forgiveness...let me show the same to others.

2 Samuel 14:14 - Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him.

That is awesome! God will find, arrange, reveal a plan to bring us back to Him! Prasie the Lord for this opportunity to spend so much time in His Word. It has not been easy, but I'm so glad I am doing this.

For more info on the Bible in 90 Days reading plan, head over to Mom's Toolbox or to The Bible in 90 Days website.

God bless!

blog comments powered by Disqus