Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Proverbs 31


Yesterday's reading included the second half of Proverbs.....one of my favorite books of the Bible. After my Lent post I've been thinking a lot about my attitude, being a godly wife and mother and just how I am going to make this change stick.

Then this morning I open my Bible and find wonderful nuggets of wisdom in Proverbs and it was such an encouragement to read.....just shows that God is in-tune and involved in our lives.....we just need to be willing to pay attention, listen and act.

I've always had a love-hate relationship with Proverbs 31 and what I thought it meant to be a Proverbs 31 wife. In the past, I've read with great aspirations and longings to make grand changes and have always felt - how could I possibly measure up?

But yesterday was different. I read it and felt encouraged and affirmed that I was already doing a lot of things right. I had a realization that it doesn't have to be the big things. All the seemingly small things we do each day as homemakers and home-managers are what makes us Proverbs 31 women. How cool is that!

Proverbs 31:10-31
(10) A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
(11) Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
Joe compliments me often on how helpful I am to him, both in our home and for our business. I strive to always be reliable to him and that he can count on me for daily support.
(12) She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
I have not always been focused on helping him. I do get wrapped up in my stuff and kids stuff, but today I am making a conscience action to be an intentional wife and to always be a source of goodness for my man.
(13) She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.
This actually made me laugh because I add flax seed to everything in our home.
(14) She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.
I do the shopping and day to day management of my home.
(15) She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.
I truely believe that one of my strengths in our family unit is that I do the day to day stuff and rarely complain about them...the cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, bill paying and such. This frees Joe from having to worry about one more thing.
(16) She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
(17) She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
(18) She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.
(19) In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
(20) She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.
(21) When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
(22) She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
(23) Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
I never speak poorly of my husband to other people. I am his partner and want to build him up. I do respect him as a man, as a husband, as an employer and as a father and I would like to think others respect him as well.
(24) She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.
(25) She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
(26) She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
I fail at this probably daily, but with God's grace I will continue to faithfully hold my tongue when need be and continue to teach my children daily.
(27) She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Up until recently, I would say this was untrue. I have not always been a good steward of my time. I have made a new commitment to be intentional with the time God has given me and use it effectively and efficiently.
(28) Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
(29) Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.
(30) Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
(31) Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate. 


Do you have a thought on Proverbs 31? Do you have a favorite Proverb? I love that I can open my Bible everyday and learn something new or have a verse speak to me in a new way. I love that a verse that may convict me one day is just the encouragement that I need the next. Praise the Lord and His Word.

God bless!
blog comments powered by Disqus